Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Nova in Sagitarius

I've been trying to remember to get up early on a clear morning to see if I could see the new nova in the south. Today was the day.  Judy couldn't sleep so she went outside, noticed it was clear, and woke me up about 6:30. I grabbed my 10x50s and headed south to the fence where I just might get some relief from the depressingly large number of streetlights in our neighborhood, not to mention the added bonus of a yardlight every couple of yards, LED accent lights, rope lights, and every other form of light polution known to mankind! I was able to see Scorpius high in the south, much higher than it is up north at this time, and I knew that Sagitarius was following along close behind.  I couldn't see much unaided though so I pulled out my trusty 10x50s.  There it was, a pattern that was familiar: the teapot.  I looked for the lid and THERE IT WAS! There was a new fourth 'star' where there has always been only three before. I wasn't able to do a very good comparison but there was definitely a bright star not shown on my star chart. When I got home I estimated that it was about the same brightness as HD166023 a bit further west and out of my field of view. That would put the nova at about magnitude 5 or 6. If it is still clear in the morning, and if I'm able to get up again, I'll try a bit earlier from a darker location and see if I can't get a better estimate of brightness, but for now this will have to do.  I believe this is my first viewing of a nova! The image is a screen shot of the field around the nova as seen through my 10x50s assuming a seven degree FOV. The white arrow points to the location of the nova which I penciled in on the screenshot.

No comments: